Answered By: Daniel Dylla Last Updated: Jan 06, 2017 Views: 100
There are a few ways to search for eBooks only:
In Encore, click on Advanced Search. Search using an asterisk (*) and select 'HCC Only Ebook' from the Format dropdown menu. Instead of using an asterisk, you can supply your own keyword (for instance, 'dummies', to get all eBooks from the "...for Dummies" series).
In the library catalog, click on the Advanced tab. Search using an asterisk (*) and select 'eBook (HCC Only)' from the Material Type dropdown menu. Instead of using an asterisk, you can supply your own keyword (for instance, 'dummies', to get all eBooks from the "...for Dummies" series).
To read any of the eBooks through Encore or the Catalog, click on the title of the book and then on the EBSCOHost link. You will be prompted to enter your HCC "W" number (for students) or your first and last names (for faculty/staff) and personal password before being taken to an EBSCO page. From there, click on eBook Full Text.
In EBSCO eBook Collection, enter your search terms to see the results. Click on the title of the book to read a little more about it, or directly on the eBook Full Text link to read the book in its entirety.
Downloading an eBook from EBSCO
If you would like to download the book, you will need to follow these direction, taken from EBSCO Support's Checking out and Downloading EBSCO eBooks:
You will need Adobe® Digital Editions 1.7.1 or higher is required for offline viewing. This free software can be downloaded from the link below.
Click the Download (Offline) link for the eBook you would like to download.
- If you are not logged into your My EBSCOhost folder, you are prompted to do so.
- Select a Checkout period from the drop-down menu and click the Checkout & Download button.
- Note: For some titles, you may see the option to select either the PDF or ePub format for an eBook.
- The eBook is added to the Checkout area of the folder, accessible from the upper-right corner of the EBSCOhost interface.
- Select to Open or Save the file from the resulting dialog box.
- If you Open the file, your eBook is opened with Adobe® Digital Editions.
- If you Save the file, the eBook is saved to your computer and can be opened with Adobe® Digital Editions at a later time.
- When a downloaded eBook is opened, it is displayed in Adobe® Digital Editions.